Network membership consists of a core group of researchers, evaluation professionals and national and international policy representatives, along with an associate group consisting of academics, local policy makers and other interested bodies. The project has also established a forum for postgraduate scholars researching the Cities of Culture initiative within partner universities and beyond.
The network was initiated by Professor Franco Bianchini and Professor Jonothan Neelands, with the support of Dr Jo Byrne (Research Manager, CPPI). It is currently led by Professor David Atkinson and Prof Glenn Burgess (co-PIs) and Professor Jonothan Neelands (Co-I), with the support of Dr Alexandra Oancă (Postdoctoral Research Fellow, CPPI). Vickie Bissett and Michael Howcroft (PhD students, CPPI) are the student leads for the post-graduate forum. The direction of the network is overseen by a steering group, chaired by Professor David Atkinson and Professor Glenn Burgess, and includes Professor Franco Bianchini, Professor Jonothan Neelands (University of Warwick), Dr Louise Ejgod-Hansen (Aarhus University), and Dr Beatriz Garcia (Liverpool University).
Key participants are organised into Core and Associate Groups. The model aims to make the network widely accessible, whilst benefiting from smaller, focused intervention. Colloquium speakers are also drawn from the extensive expertise within the network.
Core Group (A) – UK Academic or Research Lead
· Professor Franco Bianchini – Visiting Professor at the Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts, Helsinki, and Associate Director of the Centre for Cultural Value, UK
· Professor David Atkinson (Co-Investigator) – University of Hull
· Professor Glenn Burgess (Co-Investigator) – University of Hull
· Professor Jonothan Neelands (Co-Investigator) – Professor of Creative Education, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, University of Warwick
· Professor Neil Forbes – Associate Dean Research, Coventry University
· Dr Beatriz Garcia Director – Institute of Cultural Capital, University of Liverpool
· Dr Rafaela Neiva Ganga – Research Associate, Liverpool John Moores University
· Professor Kate Oakley – Head of School for Culture and Arts, Glasgow University
· Dr Phillip Boland – Lecturer, School of Natural and Built Environment, Queen’s
· University Belfast
· Penny Mills – Chief Consulting Officer, The Audience Agency
· William Cooper – Insight Manager, London Borough of Waltham Forest
· Melanie Smith – Director of Public Health, Brent Council
Core Group (B) – Academic/Researcher (Europe)
· Dr Louise-Ejgod-Hansen – Associate Professor, School of Communication and Culture, Aarhus University
· Dr Catherine Morris – Lecturer in Culture, Community and the University, NUI Galway
Core Group (C) – National CoC Policy Makers & European Policy Partners
· Harman Sagger – Head Economist for Arts Policy, Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
· Tom Robbins – Head of Cultural Development Fund and place-based initiatives
· Pete Massey – Director, North (Yorkshire), Arts Council England
· Kathy McArdle – Director of England and Cities, British Council
· Morten Falbe-Hansen – Executive Advisor, Central Denmark Region
· Brian Barrett – Head of Economic Development & Culture, Galway City Council
Associate Group (D) – UK Local CoC Policy Makers and Open
· Michael Relph – Economy Strategy Manager, Hull City Council
· Oonagh McGillion – Director of Legacy, Derry City and Strabane Council
· Clare Mitchell – Director of Arts and Cultural Partnerships, Coventry Council
· Lorna Lee – Director of Borough of Culture, Waltham Forest
· Karen Brookfield – Deputy Director of Strategy and Business, Heritage Lottery Fund
· Amy Finch – Head of Learning and Impact, Spirit of 2012
Post Graduate Research and Early Careers Researchers Forum (E) – drawn from the network Universities and can include relevant postgraduate researchers based in other academic institutions:
· Dr Alexandra Oancă – University of Hull & KU Leuven – Postdoctoral Researcher.
· Dr Barbara Grabher – University of Hull – Research Associate.
· Charlie Ingram – Coventry University – PhD Candidate.
· Ciara Murphy – National University of Ireland, Galway – PhD Candidate.
· Dr Cristina Clopot – University of Hull (WISE) – Postdoctoral Researcher.
· Emily Dunford – University of Warwick – PhD Candidate.
· Emily Hopkins – Royal Holloway, University of London – PhD Candidate.
· Enrico Tommarchi – University of Hull – PhD Candidate/Research Assistant.
· Dr Frederico Cavalleri – University of Milano-Bicocca – Postdoctoral Research Intern, University of Hull.
· Jill Howitt – Open University – PhD Candidate.
· Mara Ambrozic – Liverpool John Moore University – PhD Candidate.
· Michael Howcroft – University of Hull – PhD Candidate.
· Stephen Walsh – University of Hull – PhD Candidate.
· Dr Steven Hadley – National University of Ireland Galway – Research Fellow.
· Vishal Kumar – University College London – MRes Candidate.
· Dr Victoria Barker – University of Coventry – Research Assistant.